Wednesday, February 07, 2007

bugs, delays, madness

Well I've hit yet another delay because I'm running into some serious bugs with the Source SDK (the software used to make these episodes). I was originally intending to have episode 3 out about now since it's all but done, but I ran into a MAJOR bug that's preventing me from doing so. Until I find a fix or workaround, episode 3 is indefinitely on hold. I'll be finishing up episode 2 in the meantime since the bug won't affect any content in that episode (I had an entirely DIFFERENT bug for that episode, which I found a workaround for). Anyway, this is a showstopping bug for now, and will impact which scripts I'll use in the future if it doesn't get resolved. For people who know something about the Source SDK, check out my post on it here. For everyone else, it's boring technical crap.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I got the first reply. "What the hell is wrong with you?" is what I've just heard from the video (background music, I'm paranoid unless I hear something in the background that doesn't freak you out)

Okay, now onto the helpful stuff...

http://www.fileplanet.com/150293/download/Half-Life-2---Faceposer-Tutorial

It's a pretty good tutorial, but it's hard to understand because, you know, it's a bit foreign.

I hope that helps. It helped for me, I guess, but all the recording programs I've used so far won't record anything correctly (even though I'm using my $100 headset)

Damn the Source SDK and the constant bugs! *Now for the random scene where you go to Valve HQ and they detect me posting that and come to my house and destroy my Steam account because they can*

Ross Scott said...

No see that's the problem, I've read other tutorials (check out the link I provided for a more detailed description). See you notice that in the tutorial, he uses the phoneme editor and re-extracts the sentence. When I do that, Faceposer crashes every time, flat out. Also if I try to play the .wav file in the phoneme editor. If I try to use expressions instead of phonemes, they work in Faceposer, but not in-game.

Unknown said...

try reinstalling sound card drivers and/or speechSDK, maybe it helps

Tom Edwards said...

Are the WAVs encoded properly? Try working on one of Valve's stock files and see if it still crashes.